Sunday, May 07, 2006

Knowing and Being Known

I know my own and my own know me... -- Jesus

Why care about Jesus Christ?

This question is not foreign to my experience. Once upon a time, in fact, I asked it of myself, and couldn't come up with a satisfactory answer, so I walked away.

But Jesus cared about me -- enough to follow me into my self-imposed exile and draw me back into a relationship with him.

So I care. A lot. More than I can express. Sometimes, even now, more than I want to.

I think it's that experience of being sought out and loved without condition is what keeps us in his embrace, or pulled back into it, sometimes against all odds. And I think that is why, even when some of us are bombarded by the message that, for a variety of reasons, we can't possibly be Real Christians [tm], we don't give up; we don't say, "Fine. I won't let the door hit me on the way out."

I know my own and my own know me.

I was going to write more. But I don't have any more to write.

"Shepherdess and Flock at Sunset," Jean Francois Millet Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sally said...

that was beautiful...thanks for writing

Anonymous said...

Of course you don't have anything more to write ---- what else could there possibly be to say! Isn't it wonderful that nobody else but Jesus gets to decide who the "real Christians" are? I'm so grateful for his unconditional love for us all!

Ruth said...

Amen :)

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

That painting....ohhh! Thanks for sharing it. I will have to use it one of these days (sometime my recent stint of writing about sheep will doubtless return).