Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Joy of Asparagus, and Why I Love My Contact Grill

I own a two-burger-patty, el-cheapo Hamilton Beach contact grill that I think I bought at a dollar store for a whopping $15. It is by far my favorite kitchen gadget. Someday before I'm completely pauperized I'd like to trade up to one with removeable grill plates for easier cleaning, but until then -- I love my contact grill.

And I love it even more after cooking asparagus on it tonight. No kidding.

The better of our two local farm markets is now open. They grow their own asparagus on premises, and it's just lovely, and inexpensive. So I bought a bunch of it, washed it, cleaned and trimmed it and rolled it around in a mixture of good olive oil and salt. Then I grilled it until it was browned and blistered on the outside, and fork tender. And then I slowly savored each lovely stalk.

Did I tell you that I love my contact grill? And asparagus.

3 comments:

JWD said...

Wow, that sounds soooo yummy. I gotta give that a try.

I love to eat asparagus with my fingers, like their fries. (When I'm all alone of course.)

:)

Anonymous said...

Now I want some too!

Thanks for the birthday wishes! :)

Emily said...

Hmmm. . . .yum. . . .asparagus.