Friday, January 01, 2010

A New Year's Day Friday Five


Happy New Year to all!

We're having a low-key day back home...I'm getting ready to make a lamb roast, and this evening we'll be playing Family Feud on the Wii.

But of course a new year (not to mention a new decade) brings with it much potential...maybe some anxiety...maybe some regret. Here's this week's questions from the RevGalBlogPals:

What will you gladly leave behind in 2009?
My former job. I honestly thank God every day that I don't have to work there. And my former vehicle -- I really grew to hate The Hoopty that last year. I love my Prius, even though at this point we treat it like a hothouse flower and keep it garaged except for weekly exercise sessions (good for the battery and the motor) and long trips -- at 40 miles to the gallon, it's our vehicle of choice for our monthly excursions up- or downstate.


2. What is the biggest challenge of 2010 for you?
I think my greatest challenge is going to be to start crafting an intentional life that involves some sort of useful labor on my own terms. When I quit my job I had visions of immediately plunging full-tilt boogie into some equally intensive endeavor; but I didn't -- because I couldn't. I had to recover -- recover emotionally, intellectually, even physically -- from my previous employment. That has taken an entire year. And both Fellow Traveler and I got temporarily, if happily, sidetracked by the arrival of G-Baby, a Big Event in our family. I feel regrouped now; humbled by some false starts, but ready to move on, this time in perhaps a more intuitive way.

3. Is there anything that you simply need to hand to God and say "all will be well, for you are with me"?
It's interesting...I've begun feeling my mortality more in the last couple of years. Some days more than others; I'll get a sore muscle in my arm or a touch of indigestion after a challenging meal, or hear about people younger than I am succumbing to a heart attack or cancer and will actually begin feeling anxious. These are good times to remember the Serenity Prayer.

4. If you could only achieve one thing in 2010 what would it be?
Only one thing, eh? I think I want to achieve a daily schedule that has the right amount of structure -- enough to keep me purposeful and focused (that teaching us to number our days thing) without overprogramming myself; enough to go to bed every night feeling satisfied and thankful, not frustrated and stressed.

5. Post a picture, poem or song that sums up your prayer for the year ahead....

I'm posting this for the lyrics, not the video -- just so you know:

2 comments:

LoieJ said...

I really really need #4. And someway to figure out how to have enough time to read the blogs I want to read and still get to my sewing-art. Hasn't worked out yet. And then I have to make supper but I long ago gave up spending too much creative energy on that. I need that for my sewing and writing. Three way split is too much.

Terri said...

Wishing you all the best in 2010...