Friday, February 06, 2009

Friday Five: Favorite Things

I am having a really crappy day today, so maybe it's a good thing that our Friday Five is about "My Favorite Things" -- our little touchstones that make us feel better when we're angry, sad or frustrated.

A quick list of five for me:

1. Green plants, indoors or out, mine or someone else's.
2. James Taylor -- aural Xanax for the middle-aged.
3. Pets initiating contact. It's one thing to be friendly to an animal; it's another for an animal to be friendly to us.
4. A snowy or rainy day indoors.
5. Sleep. It's not just that I need to sleep; I enjoy sleeping. I enjoy the sensation of being tucked into a nice warm comforter in the dark and just drifting off into oblivion. I know people who actually dislike and fear that same sensation; not me.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Great play! Hope today gets better for you. :)

Unknown said...

Maybe I'll try some James Taylor today.

Rev Honey said...

I wish you some small bit of joy today...imagine being in Empire!

1-4 Grace said...

James Taylor. What a voice!

Barbara B. said...

James Taylor -- YESSS!!!

I've heard him called the Perry Como of the Boomers. :)

RevAnne said...

Love your #3...one of our nightly routines is the dog's crawl from the foot of the bed to the head for kisses and cuddles.

JT's not just for Boomers--this Xer loves him too!

zorra said...

Oh great, now I have three or four different James Taylor songs stuck in my head. Could be worse.

Amen to #3.

Jennifer said...

I scrolled through your post saying, "Yes...yes...yes...yes...yes!"

Off to go to sleep to some JT.
Thanks!

Scott said...

One of the ongoing changes I'm making at our Student Center is plants - I've got a spider ready for splitting and dispersing around the building and I can't wait to find the time to do it!

While I love falling asleep, too, I don't like sleeping in - feels like too much of the day gets wasted. But I definitely like the feel of the bed at the end of a good day.

Mavis said...

Indoors on a snowy or blustery day - YES I'm with you. Especially with a fire (ecologically unfriendly as it is)