Friday, January 18, 2008

Christian Stereotypes: Exhibit A

I'm skating to work on glare ice this morning, trying to allay my driving anxiety by paying attention to Morning Edition, and what should they be broadcasting but interviews with Evangelical voters on the eve of the South Carolina primary.

My reaction, narliness compounded by the driving conditions:

These people seem to be wanting to vote for a Messiah rather than for a competent statesperson of a religiously and culturally diverse, secular republic. Has anyone told them that we already have a Messiah and that our Messiah's Reign isn't seated in Washington D.C.?

One interviewee gushed over Mike Huckabee's commitment to "family values" -- and we all know what that means -- as a primary reason for supporting him. Once again: Who are we voting for, exactly? And I wanted to reach through the radio, grab her and ask, "Why do you hate my family so much that you've made prohibiting the legal legitimacy of my family the end-all and be-all of your participation in the political process?"

So if you read over my post from yesterday, with quotes from Marcus Borg and the Barna researcher -- I can give another resounding "Amen" to their observations, less than 24 hours after writing what I did.

2 comments:

Processing Counselor said...

Gotta start reading again. They keep writing the books. How will you ever keep up.
From the Book Lover

Anonymous said...

I think some people are so dissatisfied with their own lives that they feel the need to poke at everyone else's in an effort to make them feel better. 'Yes, I have my problems. But at least I am not as bad as those evil people *over there*'.....

Either that or they are bored and Jerry Springer doesn't come on for another two hours.

(no offense intended to Springer fans...)