Monday, January 14, 2008

Book 'Em

I saw some sad statistics about the state of American reading habits over at Beso Mami's blog the other day.

Beso Mami has resolved to read more and encourages others to do the same. And in fact this was one of my resolutions this New Year, as I noted to my chagrin that my one-book-a-week reading habit had fallen off dramatically over the past couple of years. There are so many great books out there, I thought, that depriving myself of the pleasure of reading them is actually a kind of passive-aggressive way to be mean to myself.

So -- currently residing on my night table are Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and Bill Clinton's Giving. So I'm not on the cutting edge of the New York Times Review of Books, but I'm trying. And I'll tell you what I think about the books I'm reading.

What's on your reading list these days?

5 comments:

imngrace said...

I'm reading "The Faith Club" a collaboration of a Christian, Muslim, and a Jew. It's good to find myself in the pages and to learn about other traditions.

Anonymous said...

In a fit of extravagance, I've just ordered the four books (of 5) that I've not read in preparation for Canada Reads at the end of February. It's a CBC thing that's a lot of fun. I've ended up with the books before, unless I get organized about the library thing the moment they release the name of the books. That happened once...

I'm also reading, concurrently, an Armistead Maupin, a Douglas Adams, Borg's Jesus, and one of a new historical series by Cahill, The Gift of the Jews.

I, too, have lost the edge of my (at least) 1 book a week habit. I blame the internet. ;-)

Bette

LutheranChik said...

The Cahill book is great. You'll also want to read How the Irish Saved Civilization, if you haven't already.

Diane M. Roth said...

Just finished March, by Geraldine Brooks, for my book group. Also wanted to read The Geography of Bliss, a new one I just read about

Anonymous said...

I'm working on Bleak House right now, plus listening to the His Dark Materials series on audio. Hoping to put a major dent into Bonhoeffer's Discipleship next week, once things get settled down with our move.

Thanks for the post - we should all read more!