Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday Five Potpourri

Well, since I am presently not initiated into the world of Harry Potter -- yes, that's right; haven't even read the first book -- I will tackle the alternative (and eclectic) RevGalBlogPals Friday Five:

Former U.S. First Lady "Lady Bird" Johnson died this week. In honor of her love of the land and the environment, share your favorite flower or wildflower.
Part of me wants to say old roses -- the rambling heirloom-variety rosebushes one finds next to abandoned houses and in old cemeteries. Another part of me wants to say native Michigan orchids, because they're so endangered, and such a treat to find out in the wild: pink lady's slippers are beautiful, and rattlesnake plantains -- the name comes from the checkerboard/scale pattern on the leaves -- that I will very occasionally find in my woods.

A man flew almost 200 miles in a lawn chair, held aloft by helium balloons. Share something zany you'd like to try someday.
I occasionally harbor fantasies of chucking my job and moving up to Benzie County to work as a barista in a cafe. That's pretty zany for me.

Do you have an iPhone? If not, would you want one?
No and no. I have an iPod Nano that I am just barely able to operate, if that tells you anything about my ability to adapt to new technology.

Speaking of which, Blendtec Blenders put an iPhone in one of their super-duper blenders as part of their "Will It Blend?" series. What would YOU like to see ground up, whizzed up or otherwise pulverized in a blender?
Why am I conjuring up sentimental images of Saturday Night Live's "Bassomatic"? (My father used to make bluegill burgers -- they're actually very tasty -- using an old-fashioned meat grinder -- hmmmm....)

According to News of the Weird, a jury in Weld County, Colo., declined to hold Kathleen Ensz accountable for leaving a flier containing her dog's droppings on the doorstep of U.S. Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, apparently agreeing with Ensz that she was merely exercising free speech. What do you think? Is doggy doo-doo protected by the First Amendment?

I will let my dog, Cody, respond to this question: "Dog doo should absolutely be protected by the First Amendment...along with pee, barking and my remaining three teeth. That's all I have, dammit!"

5 comments:

leah said...

"Fun play"--from someone else who's never so much as cracked the cover of any HP book...thanks for choosing option 2!

Mary Beth said...

Heck yeah on the barista. I'll come with.

suz said...

nice play. It looks like we live in the same state from your motwon post.

LutheranChik said...

Suz: Greetings from the fleshy-upper-palm region of the Mitten!

No one's asked yet, but...my dad got his bluegill-o-matic recipe from, I think, the old "Michigan Outdoors" TV show. You grind up raw (but cleaned!) bluegill, bones and all (surprisingly, the bones get ground up quite well)...mix the fish with Bisquick, chopped onion and seasoned salt/seasonings of your choice...then form it into patties and fry it. It was pretty tasty.

Scott said...

Ahhh, the Bass-o-matic. Good times!