Thursday, February 09, 2006

Just Call Me Job

With apologies to taking all of you on yet another Incredible Journey through my "enfleshed existence," as we theology wonks like to say...it's like this: My new prescription is helping me with my one health issue (so to speak); I've started getting over the Flu From Hell, enough to go to work; but now I seem to be developing some kind of scary, abscess-y problem with the gum around my back molar. If it's not better by tomorrow morning I am going to have to go the dentist.

And I'm laughing. I'm laughing because that's pretty much all that's left for me to do, because my life has turned into a kind of cartoon, with me in the role of Wile E. Coyote, and my numerous recent ailments the ACME anvils landing on my head.

When I was a small child, I had no disease resistance. At five, I came down with pneumonia three times, plus tonsilitis. I honestly remember more about being in the hospital, or convalescing at home, than I do about my kindergarten class. I had a keen sense of my own mortality, even at that young age; because of that, and because I was a precocious reader, stories of pale, bedridden Victorian children resonated with me. One of my favorite poems in those days was from Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses:

When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay,
To keep me happy all the day.

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.


Then...I got over it. A new doctor came to town and started shooting me up with gamma globulin -- the magic bullet of pediatric medicine in the 60's, I think -- to build up my immune system. It hurt like heck -- the injections burned like Drano -- but it worked. I toughened up. I stopped missing school.

And so I became a Healthy Person. For years; decades. I'd get the standard going-around bugs, miss one or two days of work a year, but that was it. No cavities, even.

And now I feel five years old again. Every day is some new assault on my immune system. I feel like burrowing under my counterpane and staying there for a long time.

3 comments:

Karen Sapio said...

Hope you feel better soon--I also got those gamma globulin shots in the early 70's. I remember they hurt like fury. What the hell is gamma globulin anyway? Are they still handing that stuff out to children?

Rachel Nguyen said...

Hi LC,

I am so sorry you have been feeling punky. It is really tough when life get's put on hold for illness.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Love+
Rachel

RevHRod said...

I'm sorry you're feeling punk, as my mother would say.

And PureC... My curiosity got to me and I looked up Gamma Globulin.

Gamma globulin is one of the classes of proteins found in blood plasma. Gamma globulins play an important role in the body's disease-fighting immune system, and are also known as immune globulins. Most of the antibodies (infection-fighting proteins) in the body fluids are gamma globulins. White blood cells called lymphocytes produce antibodies after coming into contact with such harmful substances as bacteria or viruses. The antibodies react with and help destroy the invading germs.

The gamma globulin in a person's plasma consists of the various antibodies produced by that individual. A mixture of plasma from many blood donors contains a wide variety of antibodies, because it includes the combined gamma globulin of all the donors. Drug manufacturers separate the gamma globulin from such a mixture and purify it for medical use. Physicians use gamma globulin injections to prevent or treat certain infectious diseases, including measles and viral hepatitis. Gamma globulin is also administered to people who cannot produce enough antibodies and to some patients who have low blood platelet counts because of autoimmune diseases.

Go to the dentist! Personal experience says it will only get worse!