Saturday, June 11, 2005

To Be of Use

I was a third-grade Brownie dropout.

Inspired by an old Girl Scout handbook, desirous of winning a sashful of merit badges and performing feats of outdoor derring-do, I harrassed my parents until they allowed me to join the local Brownie troop. But -- alas -- there were no merit badges. There was no outdoor derring-do. Because I had the bad luck to join the lamest Brownie troop ever. Once a month we met in the elementary school gym, sat in a circle, sang "Whene'er You Make a Promise" -- and that was it. Our leaders acted as if they'd walked into the wrong afterschool program by mistake("You mean this isn't study hall?"?)...but then, much to my dismay, they kept coming back. I felt cheated; I wanted something to do. Four months later, I was out of there.

Many years later I started a new job. Upon arrival at the office on my first day of work, in that state of dazed confusion common to new employees, I was informed that there wasn't enough office space for me there, so I would have to go over to a satellite office across town. I was handed a large cardboard box containing a jumble of my predecessor's files and told to "look through them." When I asked what my first assignment was, my supervisor couldn't tell me. "Just -- look through the files and see what the other person has been working on," my boss kept murmuring. After several days of this -- asking for direction, getting evasive answers, paging through the files as directed and learning absolutely nothing from them -- it became quite clear to me that no one knew what I was supposed to be doing, including my boss and including my predecessor. In the long run, this proved to be advantageous for me because I wound up more or less writing my own job description. But it was a pretty surreal, "Ground Control to Major Tom?" experience. And, until I was able to earn my chops in that organization by carrying out successful projects of my own, I felt pretty devalued both as an employee and as a person: Who am I and why am I here?

In this Sunday's Gospel lesson , we find a Jesus who gives his disciples -- people who, in this story, are just barely past the "Hello, My Name Is _______" stage of their relationship -- a clear idea of who they are and why they're here. First of all, Jesus empowers them; gives them the authority to do things in his name. Next, he gives them a series of tasks: To proclaim the in-breaking of the Reign of God; to teach people what that is going to look like; to bring wholeness to their physical, mental and spiritual brokenness. Later in the Christian story, Paul calls this work the ministry of reconciliation.

A Native American elder from the Southwest was once asked by an anthropologist why his community was so accepting of those who differed from the norm. He responded, "In our tribe, we can't afford to waste people." Likewise, in the Reign of God, Christ wastes no one. We are all called to ministry. Some of us might still be wandering around in confusion, wondering how exactly we got here and if we're really in the right place...doesn't matter. "Get to work." And as we can see just by looking around in our own immediate circles and communities, let alone the world at large, there's work a-plenty in the reconciliation business.

Sure, this work needs to be done. But I think God knows that we need the work. God's gift of grace is like a Russian nesting doll with innumerable smaller gifts resting inside it; those gifts include the privilege and dignity inherent in our calling as Christians to be Christ's hands in the world. The world often makes us feel like nobodies; God, on the other hand, makes us somebodies, beloved members of the household of God and workers in God's inbreaking Reign. To be of use for God; how great a gift is that?

I, the Lord of earth and sky
I have heard my people cry
All who dwell in deepest sin
my hand will save.
I, who made the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall I send? (Chorus)

I, the Lord of snow and rain,
I have borne my people's pain
I have wept for love of them.
They turn away.
I will break their hearts of stone,
give them hearts for love alone,
I will speak my word to them,
Whom shall I send? (Chorus)

I, the Lord of wind and flame,
I will tend the poor and lame,
I will set a feast for them.
My hand will save.
Finest bread will I provide
till their hearts be satisfied.
I will give my life to them.
Whom shall I send? (Chorus)

Chorus

Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if you lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.

"Here I Am, Lord," text by Daniel Schutte; music by Daniel Schutte, Michael Pope, SJ and John Weissrock



The Harvest Moon by George Mason Posted by Hello

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good text, but the tune has a slightly problematic phrase. The second line of the chorus has led to the unfortunate nick-name of "the Brady Bunch hymn."

Unknown said...

Awww, I love that hymn and now every time I sing the chorus.... dash, you're worse than Garrison Keillor.

That was a beautiful post. I love the way you tie the readings into your experience, and then move back.

LutheranChik said...

Oh, no...now I'm going to think, "Here's the story/of a lovely lady..." every time I sing this!

Seriously...right about the time I decided to go for it and enroll in the LMTP program, after much back and forth in my mind, I got to church one Sunday, and this was one of the hymns. It was eerie. On the way out the door, I said to our pastor, "I think I'm ready to talk to you about lay ministry. Maybe it was the song," and he just grinned.

Anonymous said...

(mischievous grin) ...uh, sorry for handicapping you! It's kind of a standard joke around here, with all due repect to Mr. Haugen, whose hymn really does touch a lot of hearts.

bls said...

I was a girl scout for a couple of years, too. But like you, I longed for action, and preferred judo classes at the Y.

;-)

(I think the Scouts do more these days. And they do have those fab cookies.)

LutheranChik said...

JUDO?

Wow...glad you're on my side.;-)

Yeah...what I wound up doing was earning my own merit badges, so to speak, by doing all the stuff listed in the manual on my own, just for me. (This is kind of an only child thing -- I also used to play board games by myself.) And my dad would say, "You want to learn how to tie knots? I'll show you how to tie knots. You want to learn how to dig a trench? I'll show you how to dig a trench..." But -- dang -- I wanted that badge-laden sash. (Obviously this was before my Lutheran training in work-righteousness avoidance kicked in, LOL.)

Anyhow, I'd like to think that my local Girl Scout troop has gotten with the program in ~35 years. And I like their cookies too -- the oatmeal-peanut butter ones and the new lemon ones.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the song words. It means a lot to me. I'm from a free church background but this is a song often sung in the Salvation Army here in England and whenever I sing it I feel the holy spirit and a weight of hystory that that fabulous group of believers has and I can't stop crying.
It is my prayer for my community that God will bring healing and use me.