Thursday, June 23, 2005

Friday Bloom Blogging...and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

This basket hangs over my purple-and-orange annual bed. I just love those "Jolly Joker" pansies (see the cute little flower over on the far right)...they don't like hot weather, though, and tomorrow it's supposed to hit the 90's here...oh, well...

Meanwhile, I was shopping at my favorite produce market yesterday, wandering through its greenhouses, when I saw a four-pack of tomato plants left over from the big planting-season rush...Red Pear and Yellow Pear...they looked so forlorn, sitting there rootbound and unwanted...long story short, they are now part of my tomato collection. I can't help it; I root for the underdog, even if it's a plant.

One of my hanging baskets Posted by Hello

2 comments:

bls said...

Beautiful!

And you get the best, most obscure tomato varieties! I've never heard of most of the ones you mention....

;-)

LutheranChik said...

Amazingly, I found most of my oddball tomatoes at Meijer's and Pamida (the small-town poor relation of big-box stores). And they were nice sturdy plants.

Tomato update: The Italian Climbing Tomatoes have numerous embryonic, egg-shaped li'l 'maters on them, and true to their name the plants have already reached the top of their bamboo stakes...I may have to go to Plan B if they continue to grow like this. One of the Amish Paste tomatoes has a baby tomato the size of a ping-pong ball; and the Wild Cherry tomatoes (a very sprawling bush that probably should have been caged rather than staked) has several sprays of pea-sized tomatoes. Two of my plants -- old-fashioned German beefsteak varieties -- have no blossoms as of yet, although I found buds, and the others have lots of flowers but no tomatoes setting on yet. That's the downside of the heirlooms...you have to wait for your crop while your neighbors are munching on Early Girls.