Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Who Am I and Why Am I Here?

I’m talking to The CEO one evening.

“You know, there don’t seem to be very many Lutheran blogs out there,” I say. “And the ones that I find…well, there’s not a lot of diversity out there, if you know what I mean. The Episcopalians have way cooler blogs. It’s just not fair.”

“So what are you going to do about that?” asks The CEO. (I should mention that The CEO is a rabbi, and has this unnerving habit of answering questions with other questions.)

“I don’t have enough to say to keep a blog going,” I demur.

“How many thousands of posts do you have logged over on Beliefnet? It’s into five figures, isn’t it?”

“But I don’t know HTML,” I protest.

“So what are you going to do about that?”

“I don’t have time to learn HTML,” I squirm. “I don’t have the time to blog. I’m a middle-aged person with responsibilities.”

Law and Order three nights a week? Oh, you’ve got time.” I hate getting busted by The CEO.

[Sigh] “Okay.”

“There’s the Spirit!”

I mean, I’m crazy in love with The CEO, but…jeez, as we say in the Upper Midwest.

Long story short…here I am. I’m a 40-something ELCA broad somewhere in the middle of Michigan’s “mitten.” I work for a nonprofit. I go to a little white clapboard church that sits across from a hayfield, in a hamlet so small that you probably can’t find it unless you’re lost to begin with. My congregation is one of The CEO’s more interesting projects; I’ll probably chat about that once in awhile. I pray the Daily Office and am learning about Ignatian spirituality, so I’ll probably blog about my encounters with Scripture and my experiences as a praying person. And I might share other things – Mom’s stollen recipe, pictures of my dog, stuff like that. I am in the process of finding an HTML tutor – someone with the patience of a nursery school teacher, who can ‘splain things to me like I’m five years old – to help me make this blog look like I know what I’m doing. (No reasonable offers of assistance refused!) So stay tuned for more LutheranChik in the near future.

1 comment:

LutheranChik said...

Hi, Wayne.

I'm still debating your invitation to visit "that other forum"...probably not a good idea during Lent.