Monday, February 28, 2005

Self-Denial

More from Dietrich Bonhoeffer:

Self-denial means knowing only Christ, and no longer oneself. It means seeing only Christ, who goes ahead of us, and no longer the path that is too difficult for us. Again, self-denial is saying only: He goes ahead of us; hold fast to him.

I am so not there yet. I'm the one not watching Christ because I'm poking around in the purse: How much is this going to cost? I'm the one not watching Christ because I'm looking down at my own feet, and watching them start to sink under the waves. I'm the one not watching Christ because I'm tired: I know he said, "Stay awake and pray," but I'm just going to rest my eyes for a moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please come over to www.thethinklings.blogspot.com and see if you have any comments to offer our discussion of Bonhoeffer's Discipleship. You are welcome to join us!

LutheranChik said...

I've enjoyed reading through the posts...but I'm not sure I can tackle yet another Bonhoeffer book right now. (LutheranChik contemplating the three feet of unread books piled on her desk right now.)

I might respond to the post about cheap grace driving people away from the Church, because in some cases I find that to be true. I think it's Kelly Fryer who talks about, in a faith context, "living like you mean it"; that's a dynamic that I sometimes see missing amongst our complacent coreligionists, sadly.