Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Doin' the DO: April 1

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away-and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep." -- the Gospel of John, the 10th Chapter

Again today I found great comfort in the Morning Prayer's Gospel reading, which in the context of my own life and experience speaks to anyone who's ever been let down by the Church. And it's another reminder to keep Christ, not his assorted bumbling followers, as the focus of faith, both in my own life and when I'm in teaching or preaching mode.

1 comment:

MaineCelt said...

Oy. My. G-d. That is hysterical! I'm sending this on to my friend who hosts a seder every year at which I am the token Goy. He is soooo tired of all my "helpful suggestions" like, "why don't you set out a cup for Miriam this year..." Well, I can't help being an uppity liturgical feminist Goy-type person. That's how G-d made me! ;-)