Friday, July 10, 2009

A Physical Friday Five

This week's RevGalBlogPals Friday Five asks us "about you and your beautiful temple of the Holy Spirit":

1. What was your favorite sport or outdoor activity as a child?
I was a great hiker through our farm fields. And -- believe it or not -- I enjoyed mowing the lawn.

2. P.E. class--heaven or the other place?
Definitely the other place. Back in the 60's and 70's, PE class had nothing to do with inculcating a personal health regimen or even awxappreciation of one's physicality. Naw -- it was all about burning off kids' excess energy between academic classes and, later on in middle and high school, identifying elite athletes for school teams; oh, and following a state reg. I'd like to think that things have changed, but I'm told that at least in my locality PE is the same-ol', same-ol', only with perhaps even less student enthusiasm.

3. What is your favorite form of exercise now?
I enjoy walking. I enjoy gardening, which can provide a pretty good non-aerobic workout. And, all appearances to the contrary, I do enjoy going to the gym and working on the machines. (Our best intentions to this fell by the wayside when our lives started getting busy again in the mid-winter, and I frankly don't know when we'll be able to start up again.)

4. Do you like to work out solo or with a partner?
I have to say, I enjoy walking alone, which is like a moving meditation for me -- and that way I only have to worry about my own pace. I enjoy working the gym machines with Fellow Traveler so we can talk while we exercise, and for the friendly competition.

5. Inside or outside?
Walking outside; everything else inside.

My own bonus question: A type of exercise I'd like to take up but haven't yet: Tai chi. I love watching tai chi practitioners doing their thing. Sadly, the last time I attempted this discipline -- using a DVD designed for older adults, I might add -- the instructor went too fast for me. Which tells you something about my ability to move easily in space.

5 comments:

Barbara B. said...

Tai chi does look really interesting to me...

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed mowing the lawn too-- because I got paid to mow my neighbor's lawn. I just never wanted to admit it to my parents for fear that it would become my regular chore!

Terri said...

I too love to walk as a form of moving meditation - my spiritual director once mentioned this idea and connected it to Tobit walking his dog....so, it's also scriptural!

AFSkypilot said...

I like bicycling myself. We have some excellent bike trails in the area. Then too there are several abandoned rail road right of ways that go through some remote areas. I enjoy going down those trails. Of course, you have to have permission if the abandoned right of ways go through private property--which are usually posted when you come to the property lines

Wounded and Healing said...

In regards to the PE question, I don't think I know a single adult who actually claims to have ever LIKED it. I join you in my shuddering revulsion to PE. It was the worst part of my day, and I cheered when I was able to stop taking it after 10th grade. However, I will admit that I began gaining weight and losing shape after that, so maybe it did some good...