Friday, April 03, 2009

Timeout Friday Five

This week's RevGalBlogPals Friday Five asks us what keeps us going during, particularly for those of us with special responsibilities "front and center" or elsewhere in church during Holy Week. I am getting ready to head out of town for a rather spontaneous up-north getaway day -- hey, maybe that will answer one of the questions! -- so I will be very brief!

1. What restores you physically?
Being in the out-of-doors; and going to the gym (even though we've been terrible with this lately.

2. What strengthens you emotionally/ mentally?
Learning; networking with like minds; getting away from home every once in awhile.

3. What encourages you spiritually?
The Daily Office, or variations thereof, grounds me in a way that's hard to explain. You just have to do it.

4. Share a favourite poem or piece of music from the coming week.
"O Sacred Head, Now Wounded" is I think my favorite Holy Week hymn. (If I weren't sitting here half in my skivvies trying to hurry I'd go on YouTube and find a good recording of it.)

5.There may be many services for you to attend/ lead over the next week, which one are you most looking forward to and why? If there aren't do you have a favourite day in Holy week if so which one is it?
Our church's unconventional Maundy Thursday supper -- we have integrated the liturgy and Eucharist into a stew supper -- grows on me a little every year; I think not so much for me personally but because I see other people derive benefit from it -- I think it helps the Eucharist really come alive for some of our members. And one of the themes of Maundy Thursday I find meaningful is that of community; it's moving to me to read the texts where Jesus talks to his disciples as intimate friends.

We're off to Cadillac -- just because we can be -- this morning. See you tomorrow evening!

No comments: