Sunday, July 06, 2008

Grape Jelly -- It' s Not Just For Sandwiches Anymore

This spring I put up an oriole feeder at The Big House -- one of the round flat syrup feeders with openings on top, little receptacles for grape jelly around the rim and a hanger that doubles as a skewer for an orange half.

Sadly, there don't seem to be any orioles in this neighborhood. But we are getting regular visitors to the feeder -- butterflies. They've been sucking up the syrup, but the grape jelly is what really gets 'em coming back.

The butterflies are quite bashful, so I've not been able to get close enough to take a good picture of them even with a zoom lens, but yesterday evening I'd say there were eight insects enjoying a communal jelly break on the feeder. Since entomology isn't my strong point I can't even tell you what kind of butterflies they were -- a kind of brownish gray with orange and dark spots. (Note to self: Get a field guide to Michigan butterflies.)

No comments: