Friday, February 16, 2007

Friday Five: Trippin' Out Edition

This Friday the RevGals and Pals want to take us on a trip...

What is one place you make sure to take out-of-town guests when they visit? (you can be vague to preserve your anonymity if you like)
Outer Podunk and surrounds really don't have much in the way of "must see" destinations. If I were entertaining a citified friend I would take her or him "Amishing," driving past Amish farms and visiting Amish-run businesses. Depending on the season and on my visitor's disposition, I might also take them on a hike in the woods or on a fishin' expedition on one of our many lakes.

When visiting another city or town, do you try to cram as much in as possible, or take it slow and easy?
If it's my first time there I tend to be in "cram" mode; if it's place with which I'm familiar, and that I can get to fairly frequently, I'll slow down.

When traveling, where are we most likely to find you: strolling through a museum, checking out the local shopping, or _________________?
I do like museums, art galleries, historical sites, scenic overlooks and such. I also like (here's a surprise) interesting restaurants, so you'll probably find me at one of those too during the course of the day. And I'm not above stopping at cheesy tourist traps, disreputable looking small-town junk emporia, and so forth. (One of my coworkers relates stopping, en route to somewhere else, a farm equipment store out in the toolies of northern Michigan to look for a machine part. When he entered the building he was greeted by a table made from a cable spool, a couple of chairs, a coffeemaker and a crockpot abubble with an enticingly aromatic stew. Turns out that the owners would come in every day with a crockpot full of food for their own lunch and for anyone else who happened to stop in. My friend said it was one of the best casual dining experiences he's ever had.)

Do you like organized tours and/or carefully planned itineraries, or would you rather strike out and just see what happens?
"I vant to be alone." (With Fellow Traveler and/or maybe a friend or two.)

After an extended trip, what do you find yourself craving most about home?
I tend to be "wired" on trips -- total body clench, even if I'm having a good time. So I crave crawling into my not-fit-for-public viewing lounge pants and hoodie, sinking into my sofa with a good cup of coffee and a blankie, and relaxing.

2 comments:

revhipchick said...

you're return home sounds like it just might be the very best part of a trip!

Anonymous said...

I can relate to being wired on trips...that's how I am most of the time.