Monday, August 15, 2005

For Sale: Two Horses, Cheap

Someone in our parish neighborhood donated two horses to our church yard sale, scheduled for Labor Day weekend.

I love this.

So...if you, or someone you know, is looking for fossil-fuel-free transportation that will also add some good biomass to the ol' backyard compost pile...come on over.

We'll even feed you. Our kids are planning a food-related fundraiser for confirmation camp (no horses involved in this endeavor, I promise), and we're also having our annual parish bake sale. Yours truly will be contributing bars -- pumpkin; applesauce; banana-nut; trail mix; zucchini.

And, of course, we will have plenty of gently used stuff for bargain-minded shoppers to paw through. I travel pretty light (I don't know whether to treat this as evidence of my financial failure or good news in case I have to leave the country quickly), but it always seems that I can find items to contribute to the cause. This year it's the Exercycle of Pain, a relic from another yard sale, a machine evidently engineered for NBA players, not those of us bred from short peasant stock; I've adjusted the seat as low as it will go, but I still can barely get my feet to reach the pedals. Ouch. And I'll throw in a few books and cassettes. (I'm sure my pastor, who always gets dibsies on my donated music, will find the Saami women's throat yodeling especially fascinating listening.)

Lots of stuff for cheap. And horses. And food. Prices are negotiable, but all sales are final.

4 comments:

bls said...

Put me down for a nag.

LutheranChik said...

The shipping and handling, you work out yourself.;-)

bls said...

I really do want one. Or, better, two.

But I think I'd have zoning problems here. I wish I could buy 'em, but I guess I'll have to wait till I move to my ranch in South Overshoe. (Should that ever come to pass! And I really hope it does! I keep promising my dog we're going to ranch where he'll have a regular job and a big meadow to run in. He's bummed out here, I think.)

LutheranChik said...

I don't have much of a horse background -- we were cow people, down on the farm.;-) My father's cousin was killed in a fall from a horse, so every time I asked for a pony the answer was, "No -- you'll break your neck." I do like to pet their fuzzy noses, and I just love the big draft horses...the kindly (most of the time) way they look down at you: Why, hello, little friend! I drive past a petting farm on my way to work, and they have a couple of huge draft horses pastured with miniature horses and donkeys...it reminds me of Middle Earth, with the hobbits and people comingling.;-)