Thursday, May 19, 2005

Enslaved By Ducks

My book discussion group, on Mark Allan Powell's Loving Jesus, is blowing my mind.

For one thing, there are a lot of very smart people in it, which is necessitating my having to think once in awhile. For another, it's become a very frank, self-disclosing conversation -- imagine a graduate seminar that's morphed into group therapy with a box of Kleenex being passed around the circle, and you'll get some idea of the flavor of the thing.

Wow.

So my next book out of the bag is Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte, a music writer who lives in rural southwestern Michigan with his wife and an impressive assortment of animal friends, including ducks with names like Daphne and Trevor and a parrot named Stanley Sue. I've already laughed out loud and I'm still in the introduction, so I think it's going to be a great, no-Kleenex read. It's even got its own website...follow the link above.

2 comments:

Closed said...

Oh, this sounds great. I know that our little dachshund is such a friend and a part of the family. He teaches us a lot about single heartedness.

LutheranChik said...

I think some of us could put together an anthology, Enslaved by Dogs.;-)