Friday, April 09, 2010

Friday Five: "Open Road" Edition

After three cross-state trips within ten days, this week's RevGalBlogPals' Friday Five rings home for me.

1. When was your last, or will be your next, out of town travel?
Our last trip was Tuesday -- we had to drop off my fender-bendered Prius (dented in the church parking lot on Good Friday) at the dealership where I bought it, up in Cadillac; and then we took off in the Jeep for a day trip to Leelanau County, replenishing the larder at Pleva's Meats and the Great Lakes Tea and Spice Company and enjoying the early-spring countryside -- forested hillsides filled with wild leeks and red-budded maples.

2. Long car trips: love or loathe?
If I'm a passenger, I don't mind them as long as we take bathroom/leg-stretch breaks. I tend not to like long trips if I am driving, unless we're talking anxiety-minimal blue highways up north. US-2 from the Bridge to the western UP, for instance -- that was enjoyable.

3. Do you prefer to be driver or passenger?
See above. Fortunately for me, Fellow Traveler enjoys driving, particularly urban driving; so our household deal is that I do the "up north" traveling while she does the downstate driving. We do admit, however, to both enjoying the "Driving Miss Daisy" option when we're down south visiting Son #1 and Son-in-Law.

4. If passenger, would you rather pass the time with handwork, conversing, reading, listening to music, or ???
I am an enthusiastic, cheerfully nosy rubbernecker. (Not always advisable while driving.) I can spend happy hours just staring out the window at the changing scenery. If there's no scenery to stare at, I enjoy listening to whatever is on the local NPR station, or listening to music or, if I'm a passenger, reading. (I'm also an inveterate collector of local fliers/magazines/newspapers.) I'm also a reader on airplanes.

5. Are you going, or have you ever gone, on a RevGals BE? Happiest memories of the former, and/or most anticipated pleasures of the latter?
I have not been...if I were to attend one, I think matching up faces and voices to blogs would be great fun.

6. Bonus: A favorite piece of roadtrip music.
FT likes to listen to oldies while driving, and I have been known to play a mean passenger-side air guitar to some of the music of my misspent youth. When I'm alone I tend to leave it on public radio. When we listen to our own music on the road we tend to run particular CDs into the ground. (We leave the iPod at home, partly because we have a dog who eats electronics when she's anxious and partly because we both have a tendency to forget stuff, especially little, easily overlookable stuff, when we travel.)  On last summer's trip to the Upper Peninsula we listened to several rotations of Melissa Etheridge's best-of compilation, which included the following -- also a splendid air-guitar tune:

No comments: