Friday, February 06, 2009

Friday Five: Favorite Things

I am having a really crappy day today, so maybe it's a good thing that our Friday Five is about "My Favorite Things" -- our little touchstones that make us feel better when we're angry, sad or frustrated.

A quick list of five for me:

1. Green plants, indoors or out, mine or someone else's.
2. James Taylor -- aural Xanax for the middle-aged.
3. Pets initiating contact. It's one thing to be friendly to an animal; it's another for an animal to be friendly to us.
4. A snowy or rainy day indoors.
5. Sleep. It's not just that I need to sleep; I enjoy sleeping. I enjoy the sensation of being tucked into a nice warm comforter in the dark and just drifting off into oblivion. I know people who actually dislike and fear that same sensation; not me.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Great play! Hope today gets better for you. :)

Songbird said...

Maybe I'll try some James Taylor today.

Rev Honey said...

I wish you some small bit of joy today...imagine being in Empire!

1-4 Grace said...

James Taylor. What a voice!

Barbara B. said...

James Taylor -- YESSS!!!

I've heard him called the Perry Como of the Boomers. :)

RevAnne said...

Love your #3...one of our nightly routines is the dog's crawl from the foot of the bed to the head for kisses and cuddles.

JT's not just for Boomers--this Xer loves him too!

zorra said...

Oh great, now I have three or four different James Taylor songs stuck in my head. Could be worse.

Amen to #3.

Jennifer said...

I scrolled through your post saying, "Yes...yes...yes...yes...yes!"

Off to go to sleep to some JT.
Thanks!

Rev Scott said...

One of the ongoing changes I'm making at our Student Center is plants - I've got a spider ready for splitting and dispersing around the building and I can't wait to find the time to do it!

While I love falling asleep, too, I don't like sleeping in - feels like too much of the day gets wasted. But I definitely like the feel of the bed at the end of a good day.

Mavis said...

Indoors on a snowy or blustery day - YES I'm with you. Especially with a fire (ecologically unfriendly as it is)