Wednesday, December 05, 2007

There's No Place Like Home...

I have a new Advent wreath on the dining room table -- actually it's the old wreath, with a new candleholder I salvaged from a drugtore post-Easter closeout sale and repainted Advent gold -- I'll have to post the photo when we replace our camera battery.

Anyway, we lit it at the beginning of the week, after dinner; I quoted the passage in Romans about casting off the works of darkness and putting on the armor of light, and we watched the flicker of candle flame for awhile.

I have always envied our Jewish sisters and brothers for their home-based spirituality; their rituals for remembering who they are. I wonder how we Christians diminish the experience of our own spirituality by so often confining our ritual practice to the interior of churches.

No comments: