Thursday, April 14, 2005

My Close Encounter With a Latte of Amish

I'm getting out of work, stopped at the corner by my office, waiting for an Amish buggy to pass so I can make a left-hand turn. I live in an Amish-intensive community, so this is not a particularly unusual occurrence.

As the buggy approaches, I notice that it is filled with pimply, peachfuzz-faced Amish boys, all dressed up in their Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes. I also notice that they're holding takeout coffees from our local coffeehouse.

As they pass my car, they tip their heads to me, rakish grins on their faces, and lift up their coffee cups.

Good Lutheran that I am, my first thought is, "What does this mean?"

Are they thanking me for not broadsiding their horse? Are they paying homage to my Intrepid? Are they so starved for female attention that they're showing off for...well, for me? What else is in that coffee, anyway?

Being toasted by a buggyful of latte-drinking Amish...even Garrison Keillor couldn't have invented this story. Only in Outer Podunk...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's known as high spirits. And it's spring. Happy boys!

LutheranChik said...

I live on a lake, and the public access area is popular with young Amish couples wanting to get away from their parents and siblings...I often encounter sheepish, rosy-faced young lovers driving to or from. Here's to courtin' and sparkin', I say.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they were warning you about your Intrepid...I had one, the 1999, which I loved (mostly for its looks) but one day last year it just fell apart. The mechanic said Chrysler was notorious for that model, for some reason (sorry I don't recall exactly). Anyway good luck with yours!

LutheranChik said...

Oh, gee, thanks, Anonymous, for that cheery news! [laughing]

I love my Intrepid. I call it my midlife crisis car, because it really is the coolest vehicle I've ever driven. (Which tells you something about the unfabulousness of my life.) Actually, it's my Intr pid...during a recent weather extreme, the E fell off. (That wasn't one of the problems the mechanic told you about, was it?) I am not the world's most confident driver -- I think this is a function of living "up north" and not having to deal with challenging traffic situations; when I lived in the city I didn't have a car -- so I think "Intr pid" is kind of a divine joke.

Anonymous said...

It was my midlife crisis car also!
I think the transmission, among other things, went bad. I loved everything about it (up till then) except parking was kind of hard, couldn't quite see where it began and ended :-)

LutheranChik said...

I've noticed that too. (It's worse if you're short.) My solution is... no parallel parking!